We wanted to share information with you regarding two scholarship opportunities available to Iowa students. Please pass this information on to any student who may be interested.
Iowa National Guard Officers Auxiliary Scholarship (INGOA)
The mission of the Iowa National Guard Officers Auxiliary supports Iowa National Guard members and their families through appropriate civic, cultural, and charitable activities in communities served by the Iowa National Guard. With this in mind, the INGOA offers one $1,000 scholarship annually. The deadline for the application is Monday, January 31, 2011.
The following criteria must be met in order to apply:
- Applicant must be the child/stepchild or grandchild/step-grandchild of an Iowa National Guard member, either currently serving, retired or a deceased retiree.
- Applicant must be a high school senior or graduating junior.
- Soldiers/airmen are not eligible.
- Applicant must be attending an accredited two or four year college or university in Iowa and must be enrolled in a degree program.
- Each application must include two letters of recommendation, one of which is from the applicant's current or former educator or school administrator.
- Each application must include an official copy of a High School transcript.
- If an applicant is selected as the scholarship recipient, he/she must attend the INGOA Auxiliary annual meeting on March 27, 2010 in Des Moines, Iowa at which time the check will be presented.
The application is available to download from our website at https://apps.iowacollegeaid.gov/marketing/docs/INGOAuxScholarshipApplication2011.pdf.
Any questions regarding the INGOA Scholarship can be directed to Ryan Barton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-530-6487.
2011 Matthew Shepard Scholarship
The Eychaner Foundation established the Matthew Shepard Scholarship Program in 2000 to promote tolerance and non-discrimination in Iowa schools. It assists lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Iowa high school students with college financial aid. The Iowa Silver Matthew Shepard Scholarship is an award of up to $9,000 over 4 years that may be used for tuition, books and fees at any college or university in the United States. Iowa’s Gold Matthew Shepard Scholarship is an award of up to $40,000 over 4 years that may be used for tuition, books and fees at one of Iowa’s three Regent Universities. To date, the program has committed over $1,000,000 in honoring ninety-four Iowans across the state. The deadline for the application is Thursday, March 31, 2011.
- Have a high school GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale.
- Have an ACT score of 22 or better.
- Demonstrate LGBT activism and community service.
- Demonstrate a history of high moral and ethical standards and conduct.
For more information on the Matthew Shepard Scholarship and to submit the application online, go to http://www.eychanerfoundation.org/scholarships/matthew-shepard.html
Associate Director of Marketing & Communications
Iowa College Student Aid Commission
603 E. 12th ST., FL 5TH
Des Moines, IA 50319